Are you looking for a cycling group that really wants to make a difference to your cycling? The Collective stands for having the best of both worlds: fun, relaxed riding that puts a smile on your face; and high class support for your fitness and performance goals. We believe in both equally. No one dropped. No one held back. To ride with the Collective is to share the road with friends. Wherever you are as a cyclist, you will have your confidence nurtured and your skills polished - with no judgement. Ever.
Your safety is our number 1 priority, so the Njinga Collective Committee has been working hard behind the scenes to plan a safe 2021 Collective season. We have been thinking carefully how we can start up and run Covid secure club activities for the new season. Find out more details below...
2021 SEASON - KEY DETAILS
WHO CAN JOIN?
The Njinga Collective is open to all levels of cyclists. We have 4 different speed groups to accommodate different levels of riders. See below.
RIDES PER MONTH
There will be social rides running fortnightly from the 17th April.
Ride Captain led rides in groups of 6 will start from June.
Starting: 17th April 2021
Membership will run from March 2021 to April 2022.
2 Options: Full Season Membership - £20 OR Associate Membership - £5
WHAT DIFFERENTIATES US?
1. All riders welcome - We never turn anyone away because you're not quick enough. You can even join us in trainers and we will help you progress and get into cleats. Unlike other clubs which may say they accept all riders; we really do and you won’t get dropped.
2. Ride Captains - Our rides are guided and supported by our fully trained Ride Captains
3. Community - More than just a cycling club, we are a community where you will ride with like-minded cyclists
4. Safety focused - On top of our experienced Ride Captains we also include a bike & helmet safety check before each ride and carry basic first aid kits
5. Small groups - We will start the season with small groups of 6 to help us manage group safety and be respectful to other road users
6. Different ride types - We will be offering Challenge rides (4 speed groups that are Ride Captain led), Social rides (Self supported rides that get the community to ride together) and Touring Rides later in the season dependant on Covid restrictions.
7. Non-drop rides - Our Ride Captains will ensure no one gets dropped on our Challenge rides.
"This was my first season with the Njinga Collective and I can't wait for the next one! THANK YOU to Njinga, the ride captains, the committee and all the other riders for the safe, fun, challenging and great rides!"
RIDE CAPTAIN LED RIDES
We will start organised group rides led by our highly experienced Njinga Ride Captains from June. These rides will run until the end of October and will be around 80km in length. The route will always include a predetermined challenge segment for you to test yourself, if you choose. These rides will start from Barge Walk, Kingston Bridge.
(Njinga team kit is to be worn on all our Challenge rides).
There will be social rides organised every fortnight from the 17th April. These social rides will not be ride captain led but a suggested route and GPX file will be provided. We encourage you to arrange to meet up with fellow Njinga Collective members to ride the route at your chosen speed and if you choose to decide on a designated coffee stop. (Njinga team kit is optional on Social rides.)
Touring rides are for those who want to push themselves over longer distances. We will look to organise these longer rides, which include our annual Brighton Ride later on in the season in line with the lifting of current Covid restricitions.
We have four different speed groups:
Group 1: Kalulu – The Hare (average 16mph/26kph).
Group 2: Mkango – The Lion (average 15mph/24kph).
Group 3: Njati - The Buffalo (average 14mph/22.5kph).
Group 4: Mbidzi - The Zebra (Average 12-13mph/19-21kph)
Note that the speed will be a little faster on the flats.
NOT SURE THE NJINGA COLLECTIVE IS RIGHT FOR YOU? We will be running FREE introductory rides from June.
Ride CAPTAIN LED RIDES
We will look to start Ride Captain led group rides from June until the end of October. We will initially start with smaller groups of 6 but may move to larger groups as Covid restrictions change.
Starting from the 17th April we will release social ride suggestions with a GPX route and we encourage you to form your own groups of 6.
REPOSITORY OF GPX ROUTES
You will get access to a repository of GPX routes for the Social rides.
NJINGA CYCLING ACADEMY WATER BOTTLE
All members will get a free Njinga Cycling Academy water bottle.
ZWIFT SOCIAL RIDES
We will be hosting regular Zwift meet-ups for the Collective community to come together and catch up over social rides on Zwift.
If you are new to the Njinga Collective or unsure about joining the Njinga Collective we will be running introductory rides in June to help you experience the Collective and understand what speed group is right for you.
ACCESS TO PRIVATE community
Ask questions, get support, organise ride outs, see items for sale and more via our private closed Facebook group.
When/if Covid restrictions ease over the course of the season we will look to organise some longer touring rides, including our traditional Brighton Ride.
ACCESS TO TEAM APP
Get access to our Njinga Collective Team App where you will be able to see upcoming rides, book into rides and organised events, access the repository of routes and more.
ACCESS TO PURCHASE nJINGA COLLECTIVE CYCLING KIT
Once you become a member of the Njinga Collective you will get access to purchase Njinga Collective cycling kit. Purchasing a jersey is compulsory and is mandatory to wear on our Ride Captain led rides.
access to REGULAR COMMUNITY SOCIALS
Get to know your fellow Njinga Collective riders by attending out regular social events organised by the Njinga Collective Committee.
FULL MEMBERSHIP (April 2021 through to March 2022)
All the above included.
- You must have a road worthy road bike to take part in the Njinga Collective.
- We expect you to take out suitable 3rd party insurance such as that offered by the British Cycling or Cycling UK to cover you in the event of an accident whilst out cycling. Unfortunately litigation cases are becoming a factor of modern life, and therefore you leave yourself at considerable risk if you are not covered. - Pricing is lower this season due to Covid adjustments.